Hooray! It is that time of year again. Time to go back to school. I love this time of year and I love the first day of school in particular. After 40 years of being a teacher, principal and superintendent, I continue to be grateful and excited to see:
• the “big yellow cheese” rolling down the streets, once again, filled with eager students
• Peakview and Gardner parking lots busy with parents dropping off and/or escorting their children to the building
• Teachers waiting eagerly for their new class members to arrive so they can immediately begin to build that positive relationship with their students
• Administrators beaming with pride of the incredibly talented faculties they have put together and hoping for an exceptional day
• Food service personnel incredibly busy and excited about day 1 breakfast and lunch
• HS students walking in with swag perhaps glad because they are seniors or no longer Freshmen
• Custodial and maintenance personnel proud of the work they completed to ensure safe, clean, comfortable buildings and grounds
• New, as well as, familiar faces to the District as they enter the building with smiling faces
• Secretaries busy attending to parents and or students needing assistance all the while hidden behind all the collected or yet to be distributed mountains of paperwork
• Parents and guardians smiling and happy that the day has come, proud of their children and hoping for their success and positive relationships with others.
It is in the air and I for one am glad to see it. I am so proud of our school district and proud to be one of the many employees. I am thankful for our wonderful employees, students and parents.
I encourage all parents to be highly involved in your children’s education and it can start on day one. I hope all of you will consider building strong, positive relationships with your child’s teacher(s) by communicating early and often and providing positive support to our teachers and administrators.
I thank you. Let us all have a safe, positive and fulfilling school year.
Huerfano RE-1 School District