Gun-Free Schools Act
(Definition of “Firearm”)
Section 921 of Title 18, U.S.C. defines “firearm” as:
- any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;
- the frame or receiver of any weapon described above;
- any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or
- any destructive device.
Section 921 of Title 18, U.S.C. defines “destructive device” as:
a) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas:
- rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces;
- missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce;
- mine; or
- device similar to the devices described in paragraphs 1-5 of this sub-paragraph a.
b) any type of weapon which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, and which has any barrel with a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter; and
c) any combination or parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into any destructive device described in sub-paragraphs a and b and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled.
Issued: March 23, 2010
Reviewed: September 23, 2014
Huerfano School District Re-1, Walsenburg, Colorado