Accountability/Commitment to Accomplishment
The district accountability committee shall consist of at least:
- one teacher representing each school in the district
- the school district administrator
- six parents of students enrolled in district schools
- at least one community member who is involved in business within the district’s boundaries
- at least two student members are preferred
A person may not serve in more than one of the required membership roles on the DAC. A person who is employed by the district or related to a district employee shall not be eligible to serve as a parent on the DAC. “Related” means the person’s spouse, son, daughter, sister, brother, mother or father. If, however, the district makes a good faith effort and is unable to identify a sufficient number of parents that meet these criteria, a person may serve as a parent on the DAC and also be employed by the district or related to a district employee.
The Board shall appoint persons to the DAC. In making these appointments, it shall ensure, to the extent practicable, that:
- the parents appointed reflect the student populations significantly represented within the district;
- at least one of the parents is a parent of a student enrolled in a district charter school authorized by the Board, if one exists; and
- at least one of the persons appointed has a demonstrated knowledge of charter schools.
If the Board chooses to increase the number of persons on the DAC, it shall ensure that the number of parents appointed exceeds the number of representatives from the group with the next highest representation.
Members of the DAC will serve terms of two years. Members may serve for multiple consecutive terms if good faith efforts have not resulted in other candidates. The committee shall select a parent representative to serve as chair or co-chair, who shall serve terms of two year(s). The DAC shall also establish a schedule of meetings and adopt general rules for its operation.
School accountability committees
Each school accountability committee (SAC) or a parent representative group established by the school shall consist of at least:
- three parents of students enrolled in the school
- one teacher who provides instruction at the school
- the principal or the principal’s designee
- one person from the community
- one adult member of an organization of parents, teachers and students recognized by the school
Members of the SAC shall be appointed by the principal of each school. The principal shall ensure, to the extent practicable, that the persons appointed reflect the student populations significantly represented within the school.
If the principal chooses to increase the number of persons on any SAC, the principal shall ensure that the number of parents appointed exceeds the number of representatives from the group with the next highest representation.
Members of the SAC shall serve terms of one year. Vacancies shall be filled by majority action of the remaining members of the SAC. The SAC shall select a parent representative to serve as chair or co-chair, who shall serve a term of two years.
Approved: December 14, 1993
Reviewed: August 9, 2005
Revised: September 23, 2013
Huerfano School District Re-1, Walsenburg, Colorado