Evaluation of Superintendent
The Board shall institute and maintain a comprehensive program for the evaluation of the superintendent on a regular basis that is agreed upon by the Board and the superintendent.
Through evaluation of the superintendent, the Board shall strive to accomplish the following:
- Clarify the superintendent’s role in the school system as seen by the Board by defining objectives that will contribute to achievement of district-wide goals.
- Clarify for all Board members the role of the superintendent in view of the job description and the immediate priority among responsibilities as agreed upon by the Board and the superintendent.
- Develop positive communication and harmonious working relationships between the Board and superintendent.
- Provide administrative leadership of excellence for the school system including implementation of education programs for the achievement of the educational objectives of the school district, including state and district content standards.
- Measure the superintendent’s professional growth and development and level of performance.
Those portions of the superintendent’s written evaluation relating to the performance in fulfilling adopted district objectives, fiscal management of the district, district planning responsibilities and supervision and evaluation of district personnel shall be available for inspection by the public during regular office hours.
Nothing in this policy shall be construed to imply in any manner the establishment of any personal rights not explicitly established by law or contract. Further, nothing in this policy or the accompanying regulation shall be construed to be a prerequisite to or a condition of suspension, dismissal or termination. All employment decisions remain within the sole and continuing discretion of the Board.
Adopted: January 28, 1986
Revised: August 9, 2005
Revised: September 23, 2013
LEGAL REFS.: C.R.S. 22-9-106 (4)(b) (local board of education shall have exclusive authority for evaluating the superintendent)
C.R.S. 22-9-109 (specific portions of superintendent’s evaluation open to public inspection)
CROSS REF.: CBD, Superintendent’s Contract
Huerfano School District Re-1, Walsenburg, Colorado