Staff Personal Security and Safety
Offenses against school employees
The following procedures shall be followed in instances of assault, disorderly conduct, harassment, knowingly making a false allegation of child abuse, or any alleged offense under the “Colorado Criminal Code” by a student directed towards a teacher or school employee.
These same procedures shall be followed in instances of damage by a student to the personal property of a teacher or school employee occurring on school district premises.
- The teacher or employee shall file a written complaint with the building principal, the superintendent’s office and the Board of Education.
- The principal, after receipt both of the complaint and adequate proof of the charges, shall suspend the student for three days in accordance with established procedures.
- The superintendent shall initiate procedures for the further suspension or expulsion of the student when injury or property damage has occurred.
- The superintendent or designee shall report the incident to the district attorney or the appropriate local law enforcement agency or officer who shall then investigate the incident to determine the appropriateness of filing criminal charges or initiating delinquency proceedings.
- A copy of this policy shall be distributed to each student and posted in each school building.
Communication of disciplinary information to teachers/counselors
The principal or designee shall communicate discipline information concerning any student enrolled in the district to all teachers and counselors who have direct contact with that student. Any teacher or counselor who is assigned a student with known serious behavior problems will be informed of the student’s behavior record. Any school employee who is provided this information shall maintain its confidentiality and shall not communicate it to any other person.
Approved: August 11, 1981
Revised: December 14, 1993
Revised: August 5, 2005
Revised: August 14, 2007
Revised: September 23, 2008
Revised: September 23, 2014
LEGAL REFS.: C.R.S. 22-32-109.1 (3) (policy regarding offenses against school employees required as part of safe schools plan)
C.R.S. 22-32-109.1 (9) (immunity provisions in safe schools law)
C.R.S. 22-32-126 (5)(a) (communication of disciplinary information)
CROSS REFS.: ECAC, Vandalism
JK, Student Discipline
JKD/JKE, Suspension/Expulsion of Students
Huerfano School District Re-1, Walsenburg, Colorado