Student Dismissal Precautions
- The enrollment records of the district will include information regarding the marital status of a student’s parents. Such status will be reviewed each year.
- If a student’s parents are divorced legally separated or have other special custody arrangements, district personnel shall request a copy of any and all legal documents pertaining to child custody, including restraining orders. If the custody decree is from a state other than Colorado, the decree must indicate that it has been filed with the clerk of any district court of Colorado.
- The school shall flag the files of students whose parents are divorced or legally separated or have other special custody arrangements. The school shall maintain a card file of these students that is easily accessible to the principal or designee.
- If a person whom the principal or designee does not recognize appears at school requesting the early dismissal of a student, the principal or designee shall ask for identification such as a driver’s license.
- The district shall take reasonable measures to protect the custody rights of the various parties involved. It shall be the responsibility of the parent/guardian to keep the school apprised of the student’s custody status.
Approved: September 23, 2014
Huerfano School District Re-1, Walsenburg, Colorado