Board Policy KDB along with KDB-R represent our official policy for answering Colorado Open Records Act (CORA) requests. Please use our form below if you are making a formal request. The form is also located at: https://forms.gle/13kgGUnF7VxyZ78WA
Open Records Request Protocols
Huerfano School District Re-1 values open and transparent communication with its community. It is the intent of Huerfano Re-1 to provide information to its stakeholders without requiring Colorado Open Records Act (CORA) requests.
About our Process
Any person wishing to make a formal CORA request must fill out our CORA Request Form with the following information:
- Email Address
- Full Name (First and Last Name)
- Phone Number
- Name of company or organization you represent (i.e., media organization, law firm, community group, personal)
- Mailing Address
- Topic of CORA request
- Details of CORA request, including:
- Documents requested
- Specific time period
If requested records are stored in a digital format, Huerfano School District Re-1 will provide that record in the format it was stored, unless providing records in the current format would violate copyright, licensing agreements, or would release information listed under below listed exceptions. In such cases, records may be printed to be reviewed for redaction or denial.
Please note that CORA only makes public written information that already exists within the government available through a request. It does not require an agency or other government organization involved to create new records to respond to a request. It also does not require the government to manipulate or analyze information it might have in a new way to respond to a request.
Huerfano School District Re-1 will make every effort to produce requested records within three (3) business days of receipt.
To be determined.
Record requests broad in scope, lacking specificity, or voluminous in nature may result in additional time to process. Huerfano School District Re-1 reserves the right to assess an appropriate fee to the requestor for all copying expenses in excess.
If a CORA request requires more than simple retrieval of records (such as technical expertise to compile, synthesize, or reconfigure data; or legal expertise in order to ensure compliance with confidentiality requirements) Huerfano School District Re-1 will provide an advanced notice and estimate of compliance cost.
Estimated costs must be paid in full before the production of records.
Records are subject to denial or redaction for instances such as:
- FERPA-protected information
- Specialized details of security arrangements or investigations
- Personnel files
- Letters of reference
- Data protected through confidentiality of licensed personnel evaluations
- Medical, mental health, sociological, and scholastic achievement data on individual persons
- Any investigatory files compiled for any law enforcement purpose
- Test questions, scoring keys, and other examination data pertaining to administration of a licensing examination, examination for employment, or academic examination
- Addresses and telephone numbers of students in any public elementary or secondary school
- Library records disclosing the identity of a user
- Any records of sexual harassment complaints and investigations
- Records protected under the common law governmental or “deliberative process” privilege
- Personally identifiable information that is confidential pursuant to state or federal law
- Information protected by Colorado’s Student Data Transparency and Security Act
- Records otherwise protected unless otherwise provided by law